At the Y, our mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all. Join our Greater Cleveland YMCA team in living our cause and helping to provide quality, safe and healthy programs and services in our community.
The YMCA of Greater Cleveland is currently recruiting for a Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable. This person will work in our Association office in Downtown Cleveland and report to our Controller.
Position: Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable
Salary Range: $36, 090 – $45,113
Open positions: 1
The Staff Accountant/Accounts Payable & Cash Management is responsible for a variety of tasks in the Accounting Department. Duties include but are not limited to: expense recognition and accounts payable management, manage disbursement methods and channels, month-end closing, treasury/cash management, debt and covenant compliance reporting, supports annual audit, financial statement and various filing requirements, process improvement/change management, and other accounting functions as assigned.
Expense Recognition & Accounts Payable Management
- Responsible for entering all invoices efficiently and accurately into the accounts payable system and subsequent balancing of same
- Verify valid account numbers, adherence to purchasing guidelines set forth by the association, proper approvals and invoice break downs are used on all invoices
- Audit and research vendor statements (missing invoices), return phone calls and resolve discrepancies
- Manage Vendor payment hierarchy and prepares proposed check runs for review and approval
- Initiate and ensures payroll funding for entire workforce
- Recommend payment processing methods and payment automation (Check, credit card, ACH, Wire)
- Print and mail checks in a timely manner
- Verify and report daily banking positive pay exceptions for all issued payments (Checks, ACH wire)
Manage Disbursement Methods and Channels
- Analyze cost of disbursement channels (check, credit card, ACH, wire) in order to automate process and reduce cost
- Report credit card vendor expense and produce analysis to aid management decisions
- Analyze vendor expenses, employee reimbursements and member refunds and recommends automation and expense reductions.
- Prepare/Maintain cash register and cash flow reporting
- Maintain and update cash disbursement processes and conduct routine audits
- Manage petty cash disbursements process
Debt and Covenant Compliance Reporting
- Maintain monthly debt schedules
- Verify and analyze debt and interest rates and trends
- Report covenant ratios to financial institutions per debt agreements
Process Improvement/Change Management
- Identify areas to automate and improve efficiencies of AP processes
- Create/update SPOs for all areas within accounts payable area
Month End and Closing
- Balance and close payables monthly
- Analyze monthly trend in payables and accruals for any timing in liabilities
- Prepare status reports and other reconciliations/reports to monitor payables balances
Support Annual Audit, Financial Statements and Various Filing Requirements
- Assist with year-end closing, working schedules for annual audit and research and supporting documentation required by auditors
- Maintain records, and assist in a preparation of various internal and external reports, including reports for federal and state agencies, YUSA reporting, and IRS 1099 reporting
- Complete yearly review, reconciliation, and reporting of unclaimed funds
Other as needed
- Analyze & audit fixed assets expenditures and complete schedules for additions and retirements
- Produce reports and analysis as needed
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Other accounting as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Experience and Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in General Accounting and/or Accounts Payable
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in customer service
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in computer software; Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and internet; or other related packages required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience identifying and implementing process improvement/change management across an organization a plus.
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality related to financial operations.
- Ability to work independently and complete multiple tasks or projects in a timely manner.
- Customer-oriented and friendly.
- Prioritization and time management skills.
- Be visibly involved w/ members, volunteers and staff in a positive, friendly manner that communicates and demonstrates the YMCA’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Follows all established policies and procedures, including but not limited to, safety practices and personnel policies.
- Linear thought process.
- Participate in and support association events and fund raising activities.
- Must be able to model the key attributes; Welcoming, Genuine, Hopeful, Nurturing and Determined
- Must show commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA and uphold its values and ethics
- Ability to work effectively work with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions