Development and Communications Manager
About the Organization
Founded in 1976, The Vietnamese Association of Illinois (VAI) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that focuses on serving diverse communities of all ethnicities and religions, fostering unity, and promoting Vietnamese American identity.
Since its founding, VAI has served thousands of Vietnamese Americans and other ethnic communities through facilitating resettlement and citizenship, building community, seeking employment, addressing healthcare issues, raising political awareness, providing educational opportunities, addressing multigenerational issues for seniors and youth, establishing and expanding businesses, and strengthening cultural heritage. VAI’s current services include adult literacy and civic education instruction, immigration and legal aid, senior in-home care, and youth programs.
About the Role
Job Title: Development and Communications Manager
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
VAI is looking for a dynamic and committed professional eager to implement strategies that better communicate the organization’s mission, increases donor engagement, and deepens corporate support. The work requires a high degree of collaboration, accompanied by creative thinking, vivid storytelling, and leadership.
The Development and Communications Manager is a full-time position which aims to diversify fundraising and strengthen communications efforts that will ensure our members, donors, and community partners understand the case for support.
The Manager is responsible for the planning, creation and implementation of VAI’s strategies related to our programs, corporate and foundation support, online giving, and special fundraising events. The position also oversees planning and strategy for marketing and communications, giving voice to the work we do by developing social media content, e-communications, and educational brochures on programs and events. This role is collaborative, and the role works together with staff, volunteers and board leadership on organizational campaigns, events, initiatives, and special projects. It is a dynamic position with a great deal of opportunity for growth and new ideas.
The successful candidate will be an innovative strategic thinker with excellent written and verbal communication skills who has the ability to multi-task and adhere to internal and external deadlines. This position requires a team player and self-starter, who can maintain focus, perspective, calm, and attention to detail in a fast-paced, creative, and results-driven environment.
Individual, Institutional, and Foundation Fundraising Responsibilities
· Set and achieve fundraising and engagement goals to maximize philanthropic support for the organization
· Develop and write high quality letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports to foundation and corporate partners and prospects
· Participate in grant-related site visits and help to steward relationships with program officers
· Solicit and steward small business and corporate sponsorship
· Support organizational evaluation efforts by helping to update assessment tools and analyze data and outcomes
· Maintain database of supporters with current contact information, biographies, giving histories, and meeting notes
· Develop donor communications and mailings, such as annual appeal
· Produce and send donor acknowledgments and other routine correspondence
· Oversee planning and execution of fundraising and stewardship events including, but not limited to cultivation receptions such as the lunar new year festival
· Manage grants calendar, update grants template, and track results in transparent system accessible by program staff members
· Edit and produce communications materials for the organization, including final edit and publication of VAI’s annual report
· Create content calendar and publish content to social media channels
· Manage VAI’s website, keeping up-to-date with latest information
· Build relationships with mainstream and ethnic media as part of community engagement strategy
· Implement three-year advancement strategic plan
· Contribute to regular department and all-staff meetings
· Provide supervision for the Communications and Development Associate
· Manage operating duties related to VAI’s parking lot
· Serve as facilitator and point-of-contact for VAI development projects, which may include the VAI parking lot
· Manage the organization’s telecommunications technology infrastructure
· Support with external relations and attend events as assigned
· Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
· Excellent writing and communication skills with strong research skills; grant writing experience preferred
· Excellent analytical, organizational, and project management skills
· Ability to use effective, engaging, and persuasive speech and writing in instruction, presentations, meetings, and site visits
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality
· Ability to generate new and innovative approaches to problems
· Demonstrate ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information; can sift between important details and noise; sees the end result and can make quick and thoughtful decisions to get there
· Desire to learn and grow professionally
· Team player with the capacity to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment and across departments
· Experience working in professional settings with diverse groups of people; cultural awareness training preferred
· Strong skills with Microsoft Office and experience working with a donor management software, Salesforce and/or another comprehensive database
· Minimum 1-2 year of full-time experience working at a nonprofit organization with a focus on development or community development preferred
· Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university
This is a full-time salaried position based at VAI’s Chicago office. Hours may sometimes exceed 40 hours a week. Candidate must have the ability and willingness to occasionally work irregular hours including evenings and weekends to attend meetings, trainings, and events.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and (optional) design portfolio to Tuyet Ngo, at email@example.com with “Development and Communications Manager – [Insert Your Name]” as the email subject line.
VAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and equitable environment. VAI does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.