Development and Communications Associate
About the Organization
Founded in 1976, The Vietnamese Association of Illinois (VAI) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that focuses on serving diverse communities of all ethnicities and religions, fostering unity, and promoting Vietnamese American identity.
Since its founding, VAI has served thousands of Vietnamese Americans and other ethnic communities through facilitating resettlement and citizenship, building community, seeking employment, addressing healthcare issues, raising political awareness, providing educational opportunities, addressing multigenerational issues for seniors and youth, establishing and expanding businesses, and strengthening cultural heritage. VAI’s current services include adult literacy and civic education instruction, immigration and legal aid, senior in-home care, and youth programs.
About the Role
Job Title: Development and Communications Associate
Reports To: Development and Communications Manager
VAI is looking for a dynamic and committed professional eager to support the Development and Communications Development Manager in implementing strategies that better communicate the organization’s mission, increases donor engagement, and deepens corporate support.
The Development and Communications Associate must own their given projects in diversifying fundraising and strengthening communications efforts, especially through individual giving campaigns. The Associate and the Development and Communications Manager plan and execute VAI’s strategies related to individual, corporate, foundation, and online giving, and also to special fundraising events. The position involves marketing and communications, giving voice to the work the organization does by developing social media content, e-communications, and educational brochures on programs and events. The Associate works collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and board leadership on organizational campaigns, events, initiatives, and special projects. This is a dynamic position with a great deal of opportunity for growth and new ideas. The successful candidate has excellent written and verbal communication skills, and has the ability to multi-task and adhere to internal and external deadlines. This position requires a team player and self-starter, who can maintain focus, perspective, calm, and attention to detail in a fast-paced, creative, and results-driven environment.
· Support in achieving fundraising and engagement goals to maximize philanthropic support for the organization
· Research prospective donors and prepare donor profiles
· Conduct background research on proposal topics, industry news and prospective grant-makers
· Create and update gift cultivation plans for individual and foundation donors
· Support and strengthen relationships with donors and volunteers
· Establish and maintain donor and volunteer records and accounts on Salesforce
· Collaborate with staff across the organization in developing communications, marketing, and fundraising materials
· Coordinate special events, especially the annual Lunar New Year (Tet) community event of 400+ guests
· Gather information on service metrics and stories from all services to cultivate the VAI narrative
· Draft organization’s annual report
· Create targeted newsletters and other communications to donor and volunteer groups
· Research and stay in-the-know about local, state, and national English/Vietnamese media outlets, including establishing contacts
· Be able to create, uphold, and update personal work plan throughout each fiscal year
· Create reports to update project statuses to the Development and Communications Manager
· Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
· 1+ years of full-time working experience
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field preferred
· Proficiency in programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, and Constant Contact
· Some experience working with Salesforce
· Ability to think and plan both strategically and concretely
· Ability to multi-task effectively, including having strong planning and organizing skills and the ability to work well under pressure
· Vietnamese language proficiency strongly preferred
This is a full-time salaried position based at VAI’s Chicago office. Hours may sometimes exceed 40 hours a week. Candidate must have the ability and willingness to occasionally work irregular hours including evenings and weekends to attend meetings, trainings, and events.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and (optional) design portfolio to Tuyet Ngo, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development and Communications Associate – [Insert Your Name]” as the email subject line
VAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and equitable environment. VAI does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.