Middle School Science Teachers hold primary responsibility for the implementation and development of Uncommon’s curriculum and the success of its students. Therefore, Uncommon Schools seeks middle school teachers who are committed to continuously improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration as part of a grade-level team.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards;
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards;
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices;
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions;
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior;
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards;
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues; and
- Participate in annual three-week staff orientation and training.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom;
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom;
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects;
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred
- By the time that employment begins, candidates must have received a Bachelor’s degree from a College or University. For teaching roles in New Jersey, candidates who have not already earned their NJ state teacher certification must have earned a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher (for degrees conferred before September 1, 2016) or a GPA of 3.0 or higher (for degrees conferred on or after September 1, 2016).
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required. Belief in and alignment with Uncommon’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.