SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER – Department Chair
Under the supervision of the Principal and/or other designated administrator, the Special Education Teacher develops and implements an instructional program that will effectively meet the individualized needs of each disable student; assesses and evaluates student performance and modifies instructional activities as appropriate; and maintains an understanding of local, state, federal mandates governing special education programs.
1. Hold or be eligible for a valid teaching license which meets Commonwealth of Virginia requirements with specific endorsement in the area to which assigned.
2. Ongoing evidence of mental and physical competence to perform assigned responsibilities may be required from a qualified physician.
3. An applicant who has had prior experience in a related position must have a performance rating which is acceptable to Stafford County Public Schools for such experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrate ability to work cooperatively with the total staff.
2. Demonstrate ability to relate positively to parents and other community representatives.
3. Demonstrate appropriate use of written and verbal communication; thorough knowledge of English grammar and usage.
4. Demonstrate effective time management and organizational skills.
5. Demonstrate classroom management strategies appropriate to the learning situation.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of the special education process and current legal mandates as related to special education.
7. Demonstrate ability to assess individual student needs and performance and develop individualized education plans.
8. Demonstrate ability to provide appropriate adaptations and instructional programs as outline in IEP.
9. Demonstrate ability to address criticism in an appropriate manner and develop constructive outcomes.
10. Demonstrate thorough knowledge of his/her field and provide students, staff members and parents with appropriate methods and strategies.
11. Demonstrate ability to confront difficult situations and manage a crisis in a calm and reasonable manner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complete required records and reports promptly and accurately.
2. Accept responsibilities outside the classroom as they relate to the school.
3. Assume responsibility for care of materials, equipment and facilities.
4. Assume responsibility for a neat, safe environment for students committed to the teacher’s care.
5. Practice and promote positive interaction with and among students.
6. Demonstrate enthusiasm for learning.
7. Demonstrate interest in students.
8. Encourage self-direction and self-motivation in students.
9. Adapt and adjust instructional presentation of subject content to students’ needs and interests.
10. Maintain an organized program of instruction based on effective long-range plans.
11. Exhibit evidence of effective lesson planning.
The following Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, and Key Duties and Responsibilities are given by way of example, and are not intended to be all inclusive and are not set forth in order of importance.
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Revised – March 2016 Page 2
12. Utilize a variety of appropriate materials and resources.
13. Communicate the lesson objective and its importance to students.
14. Utilize appropriate and varied teaching techniques and learning activities both in class and out of class.
15. Maintain an effective system of monitoring student progress and to inform appropriate persons of such
16. Maintain a record of appropriate attendance and punctuality.
17. Adhere to guidelines of confidentiality as outlined in federal and state laws and School Board Policies and
18. Serve as an optimal role model for students, colleagues, and the general public.
19. Must work in close harmony with colleagues, supervisors, and co-workers
20. Maintain a clean, neat appearance, appropriate to position.
21. Comply with all district and school policies and regulations.
22. Actively pursue professional growth activities.
23. Perform other duties as assigned.