- Please read about how to submit your application on our website. We will not review applications submitted via Handshake; we will only review applications submitted via the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment Database.
- Depending on the status of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Spring 2021 internship may be virtual, in-person, or hybrid (part in-person, part virtual); if you have a preference for one or the other, please include that in your learning goals essay for your application.
- Any in-person or hybrid experience may be converted to virtual or postponed to ensure the safety and health of our staff and interns. The internship application deadline for Spring 2021 will be Monday, October 26th at 2 PM EST.
- All accepted interns will have the option to apply for an internship stipend based on disclosed financial need after their selection.
The Office of Management and Museum Services (OMMS) is responsible for a range of museum-wide management and operations, support, and services functions. These include personnel, budget and finance, technology, facilities planning and operation, photographic services, and the business program.
The Office of Management and Museum Services includes:
- Finance Office
- Interns and Fellows Office
- Personnel Office
- Photographic Services
- Technology Services Center
Interested in submitting an OMMS application?
In your learning goals essay, be sure to specify which specific division(s) within the larger Office of Management and Museum Services you would like to intern with! Here are some tips for your application:
- Some of our OMMS teams, such as the Finance Office, may already be recruiting for an internship; check out upcoming NMAH internship opportunities to learn more!
- Try to include in your essay some sort of focus–in topic, museum skills, or overall professional goals–so that the Interns & Fellows Program Manager can make sure your application is sent to the best possible mentor match!
If you have any questions about the internship, please contact Caroline Fiertz, Interns & Fellows Program Manager at the National Museum of American History, at NMAHintern@si.edu or 202-633-3556.