FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION OF UNIT: To help students learn subject matter and/or skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible men and women.
· Plans an instruction program that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
· Creates an environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of students.
· Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and—in harmony with the goals—establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
· Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
· Evaluates the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
· Diagnoses the learning abilities and disabilities of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of District specialists as required.
· Counsels with colleagues, students and parents on a regular basis and works cooperatively with staff, superiors and community.
· Assists the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct and develops reasonable rules of behavior and procedure and maintains order in a fair and just manner.
· Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
· Attends meetings and serves on staff committees as appropriate.
· Follows State Education Department’s regulations.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions
of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND CERTIFICATION
· Bachelor’s degree for provisional certification and appropriate additional graduate work for permanent certification
· New York State Teaching Certificate in subject area