Sr. Project Manager, Large-Scale Renewables
Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA), New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030; reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
On April 2, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed into law the Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act (Accelerated Renewables Act), which makes major changes in the forum and permitting process for large-scale renewable projects. Specifically, the bill established a new renewable siting structure to be managed by a new office within the Department of State.
On October 15, 2020, the PSC issued its Order Adopting Modifications to the Clean Energy Standard (Order). In the Order, the PSC adopted several modifications to the Clean Energy Standard (CES) to align it with the CLCPA mandates. The Order authorizes NYSERDA, as central procurement administrator, to adopt procurement targets to meet the 70% renewable energy goal by 2030 and establish new renewable energy tiers in the furtherance of this goal.
NYSERDA’s Large-Scale Renewables team is at the forefront of this endeavor. The Large-Scale Renewables team executes on solicitations to support renewable resources through REC contracts. NYSERDA also administers the agreements resulting from these competitive solicitations to ensure that the proposed projects are developed in compliance with contractual requirements, reach commercial operation and continue to deliver RECs to New York for the tenor of the contracts. Once operational, the projects report their energy production through the New York Generation Attribute Tracking System (NYGATS), a market-based trading and accounting platform for the generation attributes such as RECs, which is also used to report the State’s progress toward the achievement of the Clean Energy Standard mandate.
- Proactively manage contracts associated with approximately 30-50 complex renewable energy projects in development and act as the primary point of contact with internal and external stakeholders related to these projects. This job function includes:
- Obtain and assess project development information from renewable energy developers or other external industry stakeholders such as the relevant regional transmission organization, permitting authority, project financiers, or local communities
- Systematically analyze project data, identify potential project delays and develop key findings/recommendations at various renewable project development stages regarding contractual or other actions that NYSERDA may consider taking to address these findings
- Interact with relevant stakeholders to identify and address issues associated with successful project development, including regulators, utilities, system planners/operators, or others with an interest in the project
- Prepare reports or other briefing materials describing individual project development progress and/or overall portfolio progress
- Ensure that NYSERDA’s counterparty and the contracted project remains in compliance with contract terms and conditions
- Prepare contracting action recommendations such as contract modifications for legal counsel and senior management consideration
- Work closely with other NYSERDA functional departments (energy analysis, legal, information technology, and finance) to implement contract actions
- Analyze the performance of LSR projects under contract with NYSERDA and provide quarterly reports, synthesizing progress towards Commercial Operation
- Identify, develop and implement continuous improvement opportunities with the objective of increasing efficiencies and reducing cycle time/costs. Leverage NYSERDA systems and suggest improvements to improve NYSERDA’s contract management processes for internal and external users and standardized reporting efforts
- Solicit and evaluate feedback from internal and external stakeholders on NYSERDA’s project management processes and reporting efforts
- Represent the contract management team on cross functional projects, such as the development, implementation, testing, and refinement large-scale renewable contract administration efforts in NYSERDA’s systems
- Support the design and execution of NYSERDA’s large-scale renewable procurement programs
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- 6 years of relevant competitive procurement, renewable energy, project development, financing, or operational experience
- Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge of renewable energy technologies and development processes
- Strong project management skills
- Superior organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent record keeping, database management and organization skills
- Must be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experienced in renewable energy project development and financing or in the design, installation, operation, monitoring, maintenance, or repair of renewable generation facilities
- Knowledgeable of wholesale energy markets or REC markets
- Experienced in Large-Generator Interconnection and Small-Generator Interconnection processes
- Experienced in the commissioning, testing and synchronization of Large-Scale Renewable power generation facilities
- Experienced in the asset management or the operations and maintenance of Large-Scale Renewable power generation facilities
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include the Title and Job Code 608 in the Subject Line.
NYSERDA is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator which can be found under the Americans with Disabilities Act section of this page labeled as “Reasonable Accommodation Contact Information.”