New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act and the Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act, New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030; reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a creative, self-motivated and knowledgeable individual with strong analytical skills as well as developed communications and interpersonal skills to join the Modeling and Analytics team within Energy and Environmental Analysis.
Energy and Environmental Analysis assists New York State energy policy decision-makers by identifying and evaluating policy alternatives for addressing vital public needs; quantitatively assessing the impact of energy, environmental, and economic policies and programs on the State’s citizens, businesses and environment; and helping foster informed energy and climate action planning, through forecasting energy demand and prices, and through the quantitative analysis of energy issues and policies.
- Develop and perform analysis to evaluate the cost and benefits, including macroeconomic effects, of policies that support New York State’s climate goals established by the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act
- Develop and perform modeling, forecasting and quantitative analyses to assess impacts of existing and potential energy and environmental policies on supply, demand, energy prices and markets, emissions, and the macro-level State economy
- Develop methodologies and perform quantitative analyses of emerging energy and environmental issues, including development and implementation of new technologies
- Manage external contractor teams engaged in analysis on behalf of NYSERDA as well as participate in and lead teams from NYSERDA and other State agencies to advance projects
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 3 years of experience managing and conducting energy systems analysis
- Top-notch presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- Advanced computer skills to complete analytical functions
- Relentless work ethic and resolute integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, engineering, public policy, public or business administration, or a related field of analytical study
- Advanced degree in one of the above is highly valued
Applicants should be able to demonstrate having some or all of the following skills enhanced by a willingness to learn about new issues and analytical tools:
- Understanding of greenhouse gas (GHG) emission mitigation strategies and ability to think systemically to apply this understanding to economy-wide analysis
- Understanding of economic theory and present value methodologies; experience with macroeconomic models such as IMPLAN or REMI PI+ is preferred
- Understanding of energy markets, including electricity and fossil fuel markets, and economic issues related to energy and environmental policy
- Technical expertise in quantitative analysis of energy issues, efficiency programs and environmental policies; knowledge of energy efficiency and renewable energy program strategies is preferred
- Experience working in a team environment both as a team leader and active team member
- Experience managing complex analytical projects which engage in-house experts and staff, external consultant teams, and external industry experts and stakeholders
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the Title and Job Code 589 in the Subject Line.