POSITION TITLE: CORRECTIONAL OFFICER
DEPARTMENT: CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
POSITION REPORTING: CORRECTIONAL SUPERVISOR
SUMMARY: The Montgomery County Correctional Facility constitutes a critically essential operating element of the Montgomery County Criminal Justice System. Its operation is directed by federal, state, county laws, standards and regulations. Montgomery County Correctional Facility staff is responsible for the overall operation of its facility, including security, enforcement of established rules and regulations, law, physical safety and care of inmates and employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Insure maintenance of security and daily activity.
- Control all inmate movements in assigned areas and in accordance to overall security operation.
- Compose reports.
- Operate and control security equipment, gates, locks, communication.
- Monitor security equipment, closed circuit monitors, communications and alarm systems.
- Respond to all emergencies.
- Escort inmates as required.
- Search for contraband.
- Prevent escape.
- Monitor cleanliness of assigned area and insure the implementation of sanitation practices in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Report and prevent violations of rules and regulations.
- Attend and pass all assigned training.
- QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- No Criminal Convictions.
- High School Education.
- PA Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of Corrections and the Criminal Justice System is helpful.
- Problem Solving Skills.
- Capable of Independent action.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete a Strength and Agility Course in the required time.
- Physical ability to learn the proper use of weapons, restraining devices and all other equipment related to corrections.
- Mental stamina to work in a highly stressful environment.
- Ability to maintain good physical fitness.
- Withstand long periods of standing and walking.
- Must be capable of performing self-defense techniques and restrain assaultive inmates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Must be available to work any assigned shift.
- All assigned shifts are twelve (12) hours on a two (2) week rotation, scheduled off every other weekend.
- Shifts start at 6:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- You do not rotate shifts.
- Able to tour inmate housing area.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Applications for the position on Correctional Officer may be downloaded from the Montgomery County Pennsylvania web site