Salary: $130,000 – $165,000 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) oversees and supports the procurement activities of City agencies, with a goal to ensure fairness, transparency, efficiency and cost effectiveness. The Director is the City Chief Procurement Officer. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS partners with industry groups to implement policies and tools that streamline and modernize procurement, resulting in the delivery of quality services to New Yorkers. Team members operate in a fast-paced, collaborative, service-oriented environment, where flexibility and ability to achieve results are valued.
The Deputy CTO/Associate Director leads the Enterprise Data Services Unit within the Technology Strategy division, Office of the CTO, reporting directly to the CTO. The unit consists of 10-15 full-time staff and includes Data Engineering and Reporting and Analytics sub-units. The successful candidate will focus on ensuring the successful implementation of our procurement data warehouse, business intelligence and PASSPort solutions and possess strong leadership skills. The Deputy CTO/Associate Director must ensure MOCS strategy aligns with the enterprise data management, reporting and analytics best practices through their own technical solutioning prowess and adept business understanding. This position requires a detailed-oriented, designer and leader who is technically savvy. The successful candidate will work closely with business teams across many organizations and data teams on the analysis and design of technical solutions focused on integrations and analytics. A combination of attitude and aptitude, this job requires an intelligent leader who enjoys rolling up their sleeves to support the team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead team of data engineers, reporting and data analysts, and developers to leverage industry standards around data-oriented solutions
- Manage unit’s budget and hire personnel to support the team
- Working closely with CTO and several stakeholders across many lines of service within MOCS to successful implement a data warehouse solution and procurement software solution (cloud-based, SaaS)
- Partner with business, system integration teams, and external technical stakeholders to confirm understanding of business needs and strategy, and proposes the appropriate technical options to meet these needs
- Be accountable for and contribute to the design, developing, and testing data integrations and engineering for a data warehouses and business intelligence and cloud-based procurement solution providers such as IBM Cognos (BI), and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Manage and review work of data modelers that develop conceptual, logical, and physical data models for data warehouse and PASSPort solutions
- Standardize existing reports for the MWBE program, Food Policy and other legal reports in the Annual Indicators Report an annual report on procurement in the City of New York.
- Establishes and fosters strong relationships with a broad audience of customers, service providers, vendor partners, technical peers, and management.
- Establish standards, patterns, and practices for technology design and delivery at MOCS, while also providing input and influence on broader organizational standards and initiatives
- Performs project assignments including reviews of design deliverables and approaches by EDS team
- Environments and Applications: IBM Cognos, Oracle BIEE, Ivalua, Oracle 11g and 12c, RH Linux, AWS (S3 + Redshift), MS Azure, MS PowerBI, MS Access, SQL Server, EMC & Documentum, Opera, Informatica, SAML/SSO
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience.
A collaborative attitude and strong technical aptitude are important to us, but we believe that a great attitude can help you acquire the technical skills needed to complete the job. With this, it is likely the following skills you already possess or may easily acquire.
Measures of attitude:
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a data analyst, architecture or ETL developer
- At least 2-5 years managing a team of data analysts and developers
- Ability to interact with all levels of management and public which may require strong presentation, and facilitation skills; ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Lead multiple teams and personnel, motivating a team to complete tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent writing, verbal, and proactive communication skills
- Experience working with business teams to translate requirements into analytical models or integration pipelines
- Excited about accomplishing goals and objectives in a team environment!
Measures of aptitude:
- Proficiency in writing complex procedures using SQL / T-SQL
- Proficiency of object-oriented languages (e.g., Python, R, C#, Java, etc.)
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS/XML
- Proficiency in understanding of source code control and versioning systems (e.g., GitHub, CodeCommit)
- Project management experience and experience with data product design experience
- Proficiency in AWS services implementations including S3, Redshift databases, Lamda, EC2, Glue, Matillion, and other services within AWS or in the AWS marketplace
- Data modeling and engineering for different types of databases OLAP, OLTP, NoSQL
- Experience with integration methods both real-time (e.g., REST, cXML) and flat-file exchanges.
- Strong experience with integration technologies and processes (ETL/ELT) in the cloud and enterprise data warehouse implementations and integration tools (e.g., Matillion, AWS Glue)
- Familiarity with New York City’s ERP system and ERP-like architecture and systems ( i.e., FMS, PASSPort, VENDEX, APT, HHS Accelerator, OAISIS).
- Familiarity with SharePoint, HP Quality Center, Remedy and Citywide LDAP is a plus
- Exposure to Ivalua software, or an Ivalua software certification
- Familiarity with compliance-based reporting.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
This title must comply with Executive Order 131, which mandates residency within New York City (five boroughs).