Lorain County Public Health is seeking to hire an RN to function as a public health nurse. Primary duties will be within a school setting during an academic school year. The RN will function within the scope of nursing under the direction of the School Nurse Supervisor.
Work assignments may be primarily within a school setting or at Lorain County Public Health. Work schedule may flex with short notice to accommodate needs in the school or the Health Department. Hours may include weekends and evenings as needed.
School Nurse Job Duties
1. Work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team to coordinate the delivery of school health services to staff and students within a school district.
2. Collaborate with physicians, parents, and school staff to develop plans of care for students with chronic disease and special needs.
3. Ensure compliance with immunization requirements and reporting.
4. Perform required screening and referrals and assist families with services and resources.
5. Delegation and training of unlicensed school personnel.
6. Collect school health data to use for evaluation and planning. Identify health issues that need to be addressed and contribute to the improvement of policies, programs, and services.
7. Promote wellness initiatives that improve health and school performance.
8. Other Public Health nurse duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing with three (3) years of nursing experience preferred.
Demonstrate knowledge of child and adolescent health issues, growth, and development and provide culturally appropriate care. Applies ethical standards, upholds professional boundaries, and confidentiality according to HIPAA and FERPA.
Proficient health assessment and critical thinking skills. Able to work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Able to contribute to the evaluation and improvement of policies, programs, and services.
Must have clear oral and written communication skills. Competent in computer skills including word, email, and electronic health records.
Must be a licensed registered nurse pursuant to Section 4723.13 of the Revised Code. Current CPR certification. Proof of up to date vaccinations for healthcare providers or in process of completion.
Must be able to travel with reliable transportation. A valid Ohio driver’s license with ongoing proof of auto insurance. Able to lift up to 40 pounds. Able to wear and perform job duties in PPE for extended periods of time.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants can apply at www.loraincountyhealth.com/employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F