JOB SUMMARY: The Student Information Systems (SIS) Support Technician II will work in a fast-paced environment to resolve technical SIS issues, independently and with our support and developer staff. Complex problems are resolved through collaboration with our friendly team of support staff and developers.
The technician will also design reports and SQL queries to improve service to students, faculty, and staff who use the Student Information Systems (SIS) and Learning Management Systems (LMS) in our Medical, Pharmacy, Dental, Ph.D., and Master’s programs across all LECOM campuses.
LECOM seeks an energetic individual with a working knowledge of configuration, support of information systems, and use of report writing tools. Must be driven to provide excellent support and work effectively with other departments on both small and large projects. Daily tasks range from helping a student candidate submit an application deposit to assisting and solving processing problems for other departments like admissions, human resources, or accounting.
As the flagship for LECOM Health System, LECOM provides opportunities for growth for its employees. Technical training and skill development opportunities are available and encouraged. The ideal candidate will have an eye for process improvement as he/she will be encouraged to improve LECOM processes and operations as the Institution continues to grow and implement new technologies.
Normal work hours for this position are Monday – Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Troubleshoot problems within the Student Information System and Jenzabar Internet Campus Solution (JICS/portal) and devise/document methods for accomplishing new tasks;
- Respond to Student Information System and Learning Management System support requests from all campuses and schools in a timely manner and keep end users informed of how and when problems are resolved;
- Submit service tickets to the SIS/LMS Vendor as needed to resolve problems. Work with their support team to provide information, monitor status of the ticket, and apply fixes. If no resolution is found by the vendor, work with LECOM applications group to find a solution;
- Perform routine maintenance, document and monitor scheduled tasks. Troubleshoot and repair as needed.
- Utilize SQL queries, reporting tools, MS Access, and other applications as necessary to facilitate the SIS/LMS end-user experience;
- Configure the SIS and LMS to meet the needs of new programs as LECOM continues to grow. Includes setup of features for registration, billing, reporting, online applications, automatic correspondence, transcripts, and unique higher education requirements;
- Assist the Student Information System (SIS) Support manager with any assigned tasks.
- Manage the SIS Support Technician(I) and the SIS Intern to ensure they have an appropriate work load and project support;
- Yearly preparation of Longitudinal Study questionnaires that are sent to students, graduates and residency Program Directors.
- Provide individual and group training sessions to end users and the portal, to include reminders of strict confidentiality requirements and adherence to FERPA and HIPAA guidelines;
- Test critical processes before deployment of an upgrade to the SIS or LMS. Read all upgrade release notes attend webinars and prepare documentation for staff training. When in-person training is warranted, conduct training sessions for IT staff at remote campuses to teach their users and train staff at Erie campus;
- Review new business requirements and participate in the decision-making process for technology solutions to meet the data collection and reporting needs of all campuses;
- Contribute directly to the Mission of LECOM embodying the essence of Osteopathic Principles and Practices by assisting with Institutional fundraising and participating in the LECOM Scholarship Auction;
- Other duties as required/needed to maintain an efficient and effective Department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Excellent troubleshooting and customer service skills;
- Knowledge of information systems and relational databases and how they operate;
- Ability to identify on an ongoing basis where improved design or operation standards can improve production and reduce costs;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint, SQL query development, and report writers;
- Maintain an established work schedule;
- Effectively use organizational and planning skills, including, but not limited to, attention to detail and follow-through;
- Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands;
- Assess the needs of the end user and work to meet those needs;
- Maintain confidentiality of work-related information and records;
- Acquire knowledge of how a change in one area can affect other areas of the organization, then communicate and plan accordingly;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Work cooperatively and collegially with others, consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect and EEO rules and regulations;
- Ability to devote full attention and energy to the important work of LECOM in a timely fashion; and
- Be flexible to accept other duties needed/assigned for the Institution’s needs.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education and experience equivalent to: an associate degree in Information Technology which includes knowledge in systems analysis, SQL query programming, and end-user support.