The Accounting intern will work under the mentorship and direction of accounting leaders to carry out various duties. This internship is an ideal opportunity to develop your skills in a real world work environment. This position contributes to the overall success of the accounting team by performing essential functions that allow the team to provide the company with accurate and timely financial information. Further, this position will use financial knowledge gained to identify areas of improvement and related recommendations in the areas of finance and accounting.
The intern should be available for the full 10 weeks of the internship (June 2021 – August 2022) in Winston Salem, NC.
Major Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Assist in the preparation of various month end journal entries
- Complete data imports and data entry into the general ledger system
- Participate in the process to develop various revenue and expense accruals
- Aid in the preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations and research/correction of related accounting activity
- Perform intercompany accounting with multiple foreign and domestic subsidiaries
- Assist team in gathering and reviewing information for annual audit process
- Develop analytical skills by performing in-depth review and analysis of financial statements
- Gain working knowledge of ERP systems
- Work closely with Finance Managers on a variety of projects to identify and execute continuous improvement efforts to drive savings in process and operational execution
- Performs frequent special projects as requested
- Create and present final project presentation to senior leadership team
- Student actively enrolled in a university and pursuing a Bachelors of Accounting/Accountancy or Masters of Accounting/Accountancy
- Student has a graduation date of December 2021 or May 2022
- Solid academic track record – GPA of at least 3.0 preferred
- Self-motivated individual able to multi-task and work well with other professionals
- Proficiency in use of Excel software application and intermediate knowledge of other Microsoft Office products such as Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of finance, generally accepted accounting principles, and economic principles
- Proficiency in use of computer equipment
- Ability to perform detailed work with numerical data and to make mathematical computation rapidly and accurately
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Must have good listening skills, be self-motivated, and have a high maturity level
- Must have demonstrated ability to appropriately handle sensitive/confidential information
- Must be comfortable working in a team environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the major job responsibilities (essential functions) of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the major job responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is:
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands or arms.
- Regularly required to talk or hear and read instructions on a computer monitor and/or printed on paper.
- Frequently required to stand, kneel or stoop, and lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Regularly required to view items at an extremely close range and must be able to adjust and readjust focus.
Occasionally: Job requires this activity up to 33% of the time
Frequently: Job requires this activity between 33% – 66% of the time
Regularly: Job requires this activity more than 66% of the time
- Support a safe work environment by following safety rules and regulations and reporting all safety hazards.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer