The Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is currently seeking talented candidates for a Senior Automotive Engineer role at our Silver Springs, NV location. At NATC, our senior automotive engineers work under the direct supervision of the Program Manager. Conducts engineering design, development and analysis of components, fixtures and instrumentation test elements.
Founded in 1957, the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is a privately owned, independent test, evaluation, design and engineering facility offering development and certification testing to customers worldwide. We have substantial international experience, which allows us to evaluate products intended for global markets knowledgeably and objectively. NATC has compiled an extensive database of worldwide operational and infrastructure conditions allowing accurate definition of user duty cycles and creation of test programs that are representative of service environments around the world. NATC is a leading innovator in translating real world conditions into validated virtual proving ground simulation and virtual prototyping.
NATC’s location in the great basin of Nevada allows our engineers to access terrain that can represent 85% of the world within a 150 mile radius, providing an excellent test bed for off-road mobility. NATC’s operational area includes 1200 sq. miles of natural terrain, that when coupled with 6,200 acres of privately owned test courses, create an unparalleled testing area available to our engineers to innovate and solve our customers problems. From motorcycles to M1 tanks to weapons systems to electrified autonomous vehicles, NATC has completed thousands of test programs as a one-stop shop for automotive development.
It is the purpose of the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) to pioneer value-added technical solutions with knowledge, excellence and integrity for our worldwide transportation partners.
It is the responsibility of all NATC employees to follow adopted safety policies and procedures and to take part in protecting themselves, their coworkers and the organization.
The Vehicle Performance Engineering group is specifically tasked with performance and durability testing for ultra-light to heavy vehicle platforms, and on occasion also supports vehicle development projects for designing and building technology demonstrators aimed at meeting customer provided requirements. In support of the VPE group, the selected candidate’s objective for this position is to assist in creating innovative solutions for a prototype vehicle platform, as well as executing test programs on vehicle systems and subsystems. The Automotive Engineer – Senior reports to the supervising Program Manager (PM) but does not assume duties of the PM in their absence.
1. Prepares and reviews test plans identifying type of test to be conducted, facilities required, proposed schedule, resource allocation, etc.
2. Modifies standardized test procedures or develops new test procedures as needed to fit the customer’s need.
3. Directs and supervises junior engineers, mechanics, technicians, equipment operators and other personnel associated with projects in order to complete test programs on time and on budget.
4. Completes complex tests on vehicles and components to define holistic vehicle performance characteristics.
5. Analyzes all technical data including instrumentation, engineering drawings, and vehicle performance requirements.
6. Supports FMEA on failures encountered and suggests modifications and design change to components or systems.
7. Key customer interface for assigned projects and RDT&E activities.
8. Prepares and reviews technical proposals making recommendations as to the feasibility of designs, time and cost estimates. Communicates project status, test results, and technical recommendations to other engineers and customers by leading meetings and briefings.
9. Oversees changes in existing facilities or equipment or develops new capabilities as needed.
10. Provides support to other engineers and program managers.
11. Relates well with employees and customers at all levels and at all times in a professional and personable manner.
1. Generates new business through customer contacts and follow-up.
2. Attends and represents company at trade and industry shows.
3. Assists in special projects.
4. Provides recommendations for vehicle performance requirements, technical solutions, etc. to management and customers.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related field and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in the engineering test environment or a Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related field and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in an engineering test environment.
2. Must have previous project management experience.
3. Able to work in excess of 40 hours per week.
4. Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Nevada Driver’s License.
5. Must have extensive systems level automotive knowledge.
6. Must have strong computer skills; specifically MS Office applications, including MS Project.
7. Must be knowledgeable of current industry trends and standards and be able to rapidly learn and apply new information.
8. Must be very detail oriented possessing excellent written and verbal communication skills, expressing ideas clearly and actively listening to thoughts and ideas of others.
9. Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
10. Must have excellent organization and time management skills.
11. Must be flexible and able to handle multiple projects, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
12. Must be able to work under minimal supervision.
1. Experience with Matlab, Glyphworks, or other data analysis software.
2. Experience with CAD/CAE software.
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors
This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee’s employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.