The Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is currently seeking talented candidates for a Junior Automotive Engineer role at our Silver Springs, NV location. At NATC, our junior automotive engineers work directly with a team intent on designing, manufacturing, and testing innovative automotive mobility solutions.
Founded in 1957, the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is a privately owned, independent test, evaluation, design and engineering facility offering development and certification testing to customers worldwide. We have substantial international experience, which allows us to evaluate products intended for global markets knowledgeably and objectively. NATC has compiled an extensive database of worldwide operational and infrastructure conditions allowing accurate definition of user duty cycles and creation of test programs that are representative of service environments around the world. NATC is a leading innovator in translating real world conditions into validated virtual proving ground simulation and virtual prototyping.
NATC’s location in the great basin of Nevada allows our engineers to access terrain that can represent 85% of the world within a 150 mile radius, providing an excellent test bed for off-road mobility. NATC’s operational area includes 1200 sq. miles of natural terrain, that when coupled with 6,200 acres of privately owned test courses, create an unparalleled testing area available to our engineers to innovate and solve our customers problems. From motorcycles to M1 tanks to weapons systems to electrified autonomous vehicles, NATC has completed thousands of test programs as a one-stop shop for automotive development.
It is the purpose of the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) to pioneer value-added technical solutions with knowledge, excellence and integrity for our worldwide transportation partners.
It is the responsibility of all NATC employees to follow adopted safety policies and procedures and to take part in protecting themselves, their coworkers and the organization.
The Vehicle Performance Engineering group is specifically tasked with performance and durability testing for ultra-light to heavy vehicle platforms, and on occasion also supports vehicle development projects for designing and building technology demonstrators aimed at meeting customer provided requirements. In support of the VPE group, the selected candidate’s objective for this position is to assist in creating innovative solutions for a prototype vehicle platform, as well as executing test programs on vehicle systems and subsystems. The Automotive Engineer – Junior reports to the supervising Program Manager (PM) but does not assume duties of the PM in their absence.
1. Prepares test plans identifying type of test to be conducted, facilities required, proposed schedule, resource allocation, etc.
2. Defines and oversees installation of instrumentation packages.
3. Completes field tests to define the performance characteristics of the vehicle taking into consideration the effects and relationships of systems and components.
4. Works with mechanics, technicians, equipment operators and other personnel to complete tests on time and on budget.
5. Analyzes technical data and clearly communicates results to project managers and/or customers through technical reports, briefings, or other medium.
6. Researches background data on assignments in order to support testing procedures, test phases, deviations from standard techniques, etc.
7. Supports FMEA analysis on failures encountered and suggests modifications and design change to any component.
8. Provides support to other engineers and program managers.
9. Relates well with employees and customers at all levels and at all times in a professional and personable manner.
1. Assists in preparing, writing, and reviewing technical proposals.
2. Attends and represents company at trade and industry shows.
3. Assists in special projects.
4. Creates, modifies, and reviews CAD 3D models and drawing packages.
5. Prepares preliminary sketches, diagrams and specifications for new types or changes in existing facilities or equipment.
6. Contacts engineering, administrative and executive personnel to discuss and explain engineering and company procedural requirements, give information concerning test or vehicle performance, solve minor conflicts, or secure additional information regarding test.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field; and one (1) year of experience in a related engineering field. Mechanical Engineer preferred.
2. Able to work in excess of 40 hours per week.
3. Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid NV driver’s license.
4. Must have fundamental systems level automotive knowledge.
5. Must possess strong computer skills; specifically MS Office applications.
6. Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, expressing ideas clearly and actively listening to thoughts and ideas of others.
7. Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
8. Must have excellent organization and time management skills.
9. Must be flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
1. Must be able to rapidly learn and apply new measurement techniques and associated data acquisition software.
2. Experience in a test environment.
3. Experience with Matlab
4. Experience with CAD/CAE software.
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors
This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee’s employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.