There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
At GM, our culture is to have a “One team” approach, where we collaborate cross functionally to achieve enterprise wide results. In this internship you will work with many different teams to get to one larger goal. You will be part of our EXCEL (Exploring Careers through Experiential Learning) program. As a participant, you will support and coordinate with multiple facets of the General Motors global portfolio by crafting, creating, and implementing timely business solutions.
Finance Development EXCEL Program:
You will collaborate with GM’s globally diverse organizations to capture data, perform analyses, and present recommendations to senior GM executives at the end of your assignments. You’ll also have the opportunity for unique networking opportunities with peers, senior finance executives and GM CFO, which facilitate their visibility and growth within GM. Participation in several activities is key, you’ll be focused around the “Design/Build/Sell and Services” operations of the company, such as a Ride & Drive, a case competition, assembly plant tour, and overviews of key areas of finance. The positions are in the United States, typically southeast Michigan or a plant location. There are two primary paths within GM Finance, including Operations and Accounting roles.
Assignments may include: Global Product Development; Global Connected Customer Experience; Sales, Service & Marketing; Global Cadillac; Global Purchasing and Supply Chain; Customer Care & Aftersales; Global Manufacturing; Investor Relations; Financial Planning & Analysis; Treasurer’s Office; Global Information Technology; Audit; Customs; and Global Business Solutions
Additional Job Description
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or related fields
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Sophomore status or above
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Able to work full time – 40 hours per week during the summer months
Strong Analytical Skills / Fundamental Knowledge of Corporate Finance:
- Familiarity in use of common financial tools (ROI, NPV, IRR, etc.)
- Knowledge of corporate finance principles including ability to perform balance sheet analysis, Income statement analysis, cash flow statement analysis, capital structure analysis, etc.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles or advanced accounting principles for Accounting roles
- Advanced Excel skills and strong modeling and financial valuation skills
- Ability to work with people within and outside the group, including cross-functional partners
- Solves problems and develops new methods of analysis to streamline decision-making
- Searches out and corrects inconsistent data; finds and fixes root cause and understands the drivers
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity and ability to initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with honesty, accountability and trust
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet goals in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well with teams and cross-functional groups
- Functional/Technical Skills, Problem Solving, Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Interpersonal Savvy, Strategic Agility, Managerial Courage, Innovative Thinking
Housing assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.