Opportunity to join our Future Focus Internship Program as a Data Science Intern
Erie Insurance is committed to helping you learn and grow with a challenging internship position that will offer you relevant and real-world business experience. We are currently seeking many high-potential applicants for our upcoming summer internship program as Data Science Interns!
Who should apply?
- Applications are accepted from full-time college students currently attending an accredited college or university to pursue a four-year degree or to complete a master’s degree program full-time
- A four-year degree student should be completing sophomore, junior, or senior year
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is required to be considered for an internship
- Please Note: We are unable to offer this position to individuals who will require current or future immigration sponsorship for employment.
About the Internship: The internship includes orientation to the company and the insurance industry through:
- A variety of challenging assignments in a stimulating work environment
- A personal mentor
- A welcome breakfast, monthly lunches and wrap up event
- A variety of educational, social and community service events allowing for collaboration with other interns
- Social events and other networking activities with senior leaders including the CEO
- Opportunity to participate in company-wide innovation challenges
- Relocation assistance may be available to those who qualify
- We have multiple talent programs and initiatives currently focused on attracting underrepresented students for internships, and other job opportunities here at ERIE Insurance, and ensuring our procedures are free from biases.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs data analysis and statistical modeling, using advanced statistical and computer techniques while working with experienced departmental staff. Develops statistical models designed to enhance business decisions. Areas of focus may include: Claims, Customer Service, Marketing, Pricing, Sales and Agency, and Underwriting. Presents findings and proposals to management. Supports the work of the modeling and data analytics group.
- Works with experienced departmental staff to learn actuarial techniques, data sources, and spreadsheets to conduct reviews of rating factors.
- Assists in conducting detailed analysis of The ERIE’s insurance programs, profitability, rating factors, reserve studies, dynamic financial analysis, and experience exhibits. Typical projects have included: deductible studies, trend and forecasts of average paid losses and frequencies, effect of large losses on rate indications, and competitive analysis.
- Creates exhibits, reports, and charts for actuarial and reserve studies, state insurance department filings, and rate recommendations. Determines appropriate presentation format.
- Develops a basic knowledge of ratemaking procedures used by The ERIE, competitors, and rate bureaus. Writes programs in SAS and Visual Basic to extract data to spreadsheet format. Reviews data for reasonableness and accuracy.
- Gathers ERIE and Industry information in response to requests. Presents rate, reserve and other analysis to management and communicates analysis impacts to other departments as required.
- Performs data analysis and statistical modeling, using advanced statistical and computer techniques while working with experienced departmental staff.
- Develops statistical models designed to enhance business decisions. Areas of focus may include: Claims, Customer Service, Marketing, Pricing, Sales and Agency, and Underwriting.
- Presents findings and proposals to management. Supports the work of the modeling and data analytics group.
- Research new and innovative data science techniques to enhance existing processes
- Investigate possible new sources of data to improve existing models or create new models