Erie Catholic school system
Job TITLE: Middle School ENGLISH TEACHER
Reports to: Principal
position status: FT AND exempt
The individual in this position is responsible maximizing every child’s academic and spiritual potential through engaging learning experiences and the Gospel values of Jesus Christ, in a welcoming and safe learning environment. They oversee all classroom duties, which includes imparting instructions, managing student behavior, and addressing the needs of students in an age-appropriate manner, and any other related duties.
· Bachelor’s degree in Middle School Education or English
· Pennsylvania state-certified (or be willing and able to obtain this certification within three years)
· Clearances required for school personnel
· Commitment and ability to work with children
· Practicing member of the Catholic Church, living the Catholic faith in both words and lifestyle.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Implement diocesan-approved English Education curriculum
· Prepare lesson plans and research information for lesson development
· Impart classroom instruction in accordance with lesson plans
· Supervise and manage students’ behavior and needs in and out of the classroom, maintaining appropriate classroom discipline and decorum
· Assist students to carry out classroom activities and in the development of virtues and morals
· Implement age appropriate activities and monitor safety throughout
· Communicate progress, observations, instructional objectives, activities and concerns to parents
· Maintain student records
· Maintain a clean and organized classroom, ensuring sanitation of all surfaces and equipment
· Operate technology for instructional purposes
· Maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA and abide by all Diocesan and System policies and procedures
· Perform other related duties as assigned
Performance Factors/Job Competencies:
· Must demonstrate adherence to the highest moral standards at all times.
· Must be able to pleasantly and effectively communicate with students, families and staff, both orally and in writing
· Must maintain a positive and enthusiastic attitude with students, parents and staff.
· Must be able to work effectively in a collaborative team
· Must participate in a professional community and be willing to grow professionally
· Must adapt to new and emerging technologies to improve instructional quality.
Work Environment: This job operates in a school. Incumbent must be able to stand for extended periods.
Physical Demands: (% of time)
Standing: Frequently (>80%)
Sitting: Occasionally (<20%)
Lifting: 0-20lbs.Frequently (>80%); 20-50 lbs. Occasionally (<20%); Over 50 lbs. Rarely (<10%)
Travel: Rarely (<10%)
Pushing/Pulling: Often (30-60%)
Manual Keying/Data Entry: Daily (<20%)
Property and Confidentiality Requirements:
All property, including intellectual property, materials, equipment or actual products and services developed or accrued as part of the job duties and responsibilities listed above is the property of the Erie Catholic School System (ECSS). It may not be used for personal profit or gain and will be relinquished to ECSS upon termination of employment from ECSS. In addition, the person employed in this position shall maintain confidentiality with regard to the personal and private information about students, families, faculty, co-workers, administrators, programs and services, and any other proprietary information accrued as a result of ECSS employment or as required by applicable state or federal laws and regulations.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.