- Promote student success.
- Provide preventative services.
- Respond to identified student needs by developing and implementing a comprehensive school counseling program to assist students in their academic achievements, personal and social development, and career exploration.
- Is responsible for implementing a comprehensive guidance program through four identified components: guidance curriculum, individual planning, counseling and responsive services and system support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Within the guidance curriculum component:
- Implements the high school guidance curriculum
- Conducts orientation activities for new students
- Provides grade level transition activities
- Conducts parent workshops as needed
Within the individual planning component:
- Provides individual planning sessions to students in areas of academic planning, career awareness, and social emotional development.
- Interprets and disseminates testing information and other appraisal results, as needed.
Within the responsive services component:
- Conducts counseling sessions in response to identified needs of individuals and groups through individual counseling, crisis intervention, etc.
- Consults with parents, teachers, administrators and others.
- Coordinates with school and community personnel to bring together resources and services for students.
Within the system support component:
- Consults and collaborates with other school professionals to ensure student success.
- Advocates for students in CARE meetings and Eligibilities, Child Studies, 504 meetings, truancy meetings, and any other meetings as requested.
- Participates in curriculum and professional development activities, serves on advisory committees, and attends appropriate meetings.
- Plans, implements, monitors and evaluates guidance program.
- Assists school administration with the Commonwealth of Virginia Assessment Program.
- Act within the guidelines of the school division’s policies and guidance program as well as the Virginia Department of Education regulations.
- Considers reports from appropriate professional organizations.
- Abides by ethical standards defined by American Counseling Association and American School Counselor Association.