Title: Teacher, Spanish (High School)
Reports To: Principal
Employee Type: Full-Time, School Year Only, Salaried, Exempt
Develop students’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in comprehending, speaking, reading, and writing Spanish, and to develop an understanding and appreciation of the native culture of the countries where Spanish is the primary means of communication.
This list is intended to be illustrative rather than complete and serves to show major duties
and responsibilities and does not express or imply that these are the only duties to be
performed by the employee in this position. The employee will be required to perform other
duties requested by the supervisor and/or school administrator.
- Develops and administers foreign language education curriculum consistent with CCS goals and objectives
- Teaches knowledge and skills in a language other than English, including comprehension, grammar and syntax, sentence and paragraph structure, composition, vocabulary and proper word usage, colloquialisms, communication and translation of literature
- Develops student understanding and appreciation of the cultures and mores of countries where the language is the predominant or a major means of communication
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student’s needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement, and attendance as required by CCS
- Enforces the CCS Student Code of Conduct, the CCS Uniform Code, and the CCS Computer Usage Code
- Promotes good citizenship through actions as a role model
- Conducts himself or herself according to professional, ethical principles that reflect favorably upon the individual and the school
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality pertaining to school and students’ information, progress, and records
- Assumes other responsibilities assigned by supervisor and/or school administrator
- Abides by the CCS Employee Manual, CCS policies and procedures, and all current PA Public School expectations
- A four-year college degree and PA Spanish (PK-12) Teacher Certification. If certification is from a different state, PA certification must be obtained within determined a timeframe.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles
- Knowledge of the identified language, in terms of grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, and literature
- Knowledge of basic computer operations
- Required Clearances include Criminal Background Clearance (Act 34), Child Abuse Clearance (Act 151), and FBI Fingerprint Clearance (Act 114), all dated within one year of receipt
- Meets criteria for employment in a PA Public School
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to bend, stoop, climb stairs, and reach overhead
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Noise level in the work environment is usually mild to moderate depending on the specific site