Parks Maintenance Worker – Horticulture and Forestry (Experienced)
Closes On: October 26, 2020 at 04:00 PM CST
Location: Parks Maintenance, Leawood, KS 66206
Department: Parks and Recreation – Parks Maintenance
Division: Parks Maintenance
Job Status: Full-Time
Shift: 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Hour Per Week: 40
Details: Starting Rate of Pay: $17.17 – $20.00 / Hour, DOQ Apply Now
Summary / Objective
Under the general supervision of the Horticulture & Forestry Supervisor, the Park Maintenance Worker performs a variety of horticultural and arboricultural tasks throughout the natural and landscaped areas within the Leawood Park and Recreation Department and other designated municipal landscapes.
The City of Leawood offers career development opportunities in which the employee could increase their experience, training, and pay.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
Below is a general overview of the responsibilities of a Parks Maintenance Worker. The employee may be asked by the supervisor to perform other duties that are not listed but are essential to the job.
• Assists in the landscaping and maintenance of City-owned facilities and parks by performing such duties as, but not limited to, planting, pruning, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, pest control and watering of trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, and natural areas.
• Assists with the planting, removal, and overall maintenance of trees in right-of-way, city facilities, and parks.
• Assists in regular inspections for insect, weed, and disease problems in trees, shrubs and plantings.
• Assists with general clean-up of park property and facilities including trash and debris removal
• Operates various types of light to moderately heavy vehicles and equipment and also ensures proper operating condition prior to use.
• Responsible for performing preventative maintenance, and repairs on department equipment as needed.
• Assists in the training of other Maintenance Workers assigned to the crew.
• Employee will be required to assist with emergency operations including snow removal, flood response, and other natural disasters. These activities require occasionally working extended shifts beyond normal working hours including weekends and/or holidays.
• Assists in preparing park property and facilities for public use.
•Employee will be assigned to the Horticulture & Forestry Crew but may be required to assist on either the Turf or Facility Maintenance crews as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum Qualifications / Requirements –
• Ability to comprehend written material (i.e. instruction books); ability to comprehend directives.
• Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and with the public.
• Ability to protect and maintain confidentiality of information.
• Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines with effective results.
• Ability to read, write, and understand the English language with proper spelling and grammar to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to make decisions in the best interest of both the resident and the city.
• Ability to use safe work practices while on the job, including following proper and established procedures in the use of equipment, and wearing the appropriate and/or required safety and personal protective gear.
• Ability to demonstrate mechanical aptitude for department equipment.
• Ability to demonstrate the proficient use of equipment required of the position.
• Standard office procedures, systems and practices including the use of a computer.
• Must be able to withstand exposure to noise from equipment, machines, and vehicles.
• Must have adequate environmental tolerance, including the ability to work in variable and sometimes extreme weather conditions such as rain, snow, storms, heat, cold and any other weather indigenous to the area.
Education, Training, and Certification Requirements –
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must have a minimum of four (4) years of experience in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape maintenance. An associate’s degree would be equivalent to year’s of experience.
• Six (6) years of experience in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape maintenance, preferred.
• Must have and maintain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), preferred.
• Must have or be able to obtain within six (6) months of hire, Work Zone Certification and OSHA 10 hour training through IMSA or other approved credentialing entity.
• Completion of NIMS requirement within one year of hire date.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per the City’s drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the city.
The open position will be assigned to the Horticulture and Forestry Crew.
Post-Offer Testing / On-Going Standards
To view the entire job description including general aptitudes and physical requirements please see below.
Parks Maintenance Worker III job description click here.
Parks Maintenance Worker IV job description click here.