Chester Upland School District is in a historic period of change. We are uniquely poised to re-focus and transform into a student-focused district where each child is ensured the academic and personal skills to succeed in the college or career of his/her choice.
The senior leadership team is building a talented and committed team to ensure all students are prepared to graduate Chester Upland schools career and college ready!
- Receipt of a completed application, resume and cover letter
- A minimum of three current written letters of reference from previous or current directors, principal, and supervisors
- Personal interview
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Appropriate Standard Pennsylvania Teaching Certificate for the given subject area for which you are applying.
- Preferred experience in an urban school setting
- The following are required:
- PA Criminal clearances
- PA Child Abuse clearances
- FBI clearances
- Physical including TB Test
- Proof of U. S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides rigorous curriculum that aligns with Pennsylvania Department of Education Standards for teachers
- Demonstrates mastery of related subject matter, instructional skills, and resource materials for course(s) taught
- Creates lesson plans, aligned with current state and district standards, which drives instruction through formative assessment and differentiation
- Maintains a safe, organized classroom, which supports students’ independent learning, collaboration and choice
- Utilizes a variety of effective instructional and management techniques
- Provides a variety of assessments and uses assessments for planning and instruction
- Monitors and maintains a positive classroom environment that supports the school wide behavior expectation, in which most students are engaged, incorporates mutual respect and provides cooperative learning opportunities
- Uses available technology/instructional media to enhance the students’ learning experiences
- Establishes and maintains appropriate relationships with students, parents, staff, and community members by communicating in a tactful, courteous, and confidential manner
- Communicates and interacts appropriately with other professional staff in academic planning and school committee work
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and extra-curricular/school related activities and committees
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous professional growth and works with administrator to formulate and complete professional development plans
- Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates behavior that is conscientious and responsible
- Engages parents and guardians in the education of their children
- Does not engage in discriminatory practices on any basis, including race, origin, gender, socio-economic status, disability, religion, or political beliefs
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the school administrator
- Specialized teaching assignments may require additional training and/or certification.
- Must be able to pass an initial fingerprint and background clearance checks
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
Ideal Candidate will demonstrate the following and/or have experience with:
- A commitment to success for all of the Chester Upland students and specifically to raising the academic achievement of all the children in this district
- A desire to grow professionally and seek out new opportunities for professional development
- An ability to use data to drive instruction
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Innovative teaching methodologies using techniques such as team teaching, demonstrations, simulation and consultation
- An ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- An ability to critically assess challenges and identify effective instructional/behavioral solutions to support the success of each student
- Exceptional classroom management skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong working knowledge of technology used to differentiate instruction for students.
Salary: Contract Salary Guide