Carnegie Science Center
Responsible To: Marketing Communications Manager
Task Description: Assist Marketing Department with communication initiatives.
• Visitor feedback
o Assist Senior Director of Marketing and Community Relations; Manager of Exhibits Marketing and Senior Director of Visitor Services with collecting visitor feedback. (2 hrs/wk)
• Community/Public Relations
o Work with Manager of Exhibits Marketing to promote the current traveling exhibition by helping to implement Street Team visits to community events, that would typically include the Marketing Intern, with a member of the Marketing Department and a member of the Education Department. (2 hrs/wk)
o Donations – Work with Marketing Communications Manager to record and prepare ticket donations and send them to requestors. (1 hrs/wk)
o Draft news releases. (1 hrs/wk)
o Write and maintain long lead events calendars. (1 hr/wk)
• Social Media
o Work with Manager of Events Marketing and Manager of Exhibits Marketing to regularly post to social media. (3 hrs/wk)
o Compile analytic data on website, digital advertising, and social interactions (3 hrs/wk)
o Attend Marketing Department and other meetings (3 hrs/wk)
• Must be organized, professional, and willing to learn new things.
• Must have strong writing skills. Proofreading and editing experience preferred.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must work well independently, as well as with a team.
• Prior office experience a plus.
• Must be able to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
• Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, and Google analytics a plus, or willingness to learn
Skills to be Learned:
• Basic functions of a Marketing department.
• Minimum of 16 hours a week.
• Minimum 160 hours over the course of the internship.
• Upon acceptance into the program, all interns are required to provide and pay for background checks and clearances. Act 33 and 34 Clearances are free for interns.
• Interns who have lived in Pennsylvania for at least 10 years must have their Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 33) and Criminal Record Check Clearance (Act 34).
• Interns who have lived in PA for less than 10 years must have their Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 33) and Criminal Record Check Clearance (Act 34) plus an FBI Fingerprint Clearance (Act 114).
To Apply: Send a letter of intent, resume, a letter of reference from either an academic advisor or professor, and a writing sample, to:
Carnegie Science Center
One Allegheny Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
– OR –
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021