Carlow University invites applicants for the position of Instructional Designer. The Instructional Designer collaborates with campus constituencies, particularly faculty and other Center for Digital Learning and Innovation (CDLI) staff, to analyze, develop, design, implement, and evaluate learning opportunities for traditional and non-traditional students in Carlow’s digital learning environment. The Instructional Designer provides professional development and consultation to support the creation of effective and engaging digital learning using industry best-practices and digital learning pedagogies. This staff person also participates with other department members in developing training and eLearning products for the Hub for Workforce Development.
• Analyze instructional and learning needs in collaboration with faculty, learners, CDLI staff, and communities of practice to inform the development and design of effective, engaging, high quality digital learning experiences.
• Design and storyboard engaging digital learning experiences (courses, modules, RLOs), using CDLI standards for outcomes (Bloom’s taxonomy), assessment, and learner-centered, scaffolded design.
• Develop and communicate design project plans, including key milestones and deliverables, as appropriate. Drive the production process as necessary to ensure deadlines are met.
• Participate in the evaluation process of digital learning experiences that inform the next iteration of improvement.
• Design and conduct synchronous and asynchronous professional development workshops and materials on relevant topics such as creation of engaging digital learning experiences or 21st century digital pedagogy tools and topics.
• In conjunction with Digital Learning team, investigate emerging learning technologies and assess their potential for cost and learning-effectiveness.
• Serve as resource on designing and creating effective, engaging, high quality digital learning.
• Demonstrate commitment to the highest integrity and to the values complementary to the mission of The Campus School, Carlow University, and the Sisters of Mercy.
• Assist faculty and staff in the recording and editing of videos for lectures and other campus needs.
• Stay current with Carlow University’s Strategic Plan and other major initiatives and communication guidelines.
• Act as an advocate across the organization for a systematic approach to designing learning experiences and a pedagogically sound use of digital learning technologies, promoting usage and benefits.
• Ensure all digital learning experiences are compliant to the highest levels of accessibility, including disabilities accessibility, in conjunction with the University’s Disability Services Office.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
• Provide service to University on committees as assigned.
We seek an innovative leader with the following qualifications:
• Master’s degree in instructional design, distance education, adult education, instructional technology, or equivalent degree preferred. Equivalent experience in higher education accepted.
• Demonstrated knowledge of systematic approaches to instructional design such as ADDIE, SAM, or backwards design.
• Experience creating engaging and effective digital learning for a variety of delivery methods, preferably in higher education.
• Experience creating engaging and effective eLearning modules, Articulate Rise/Storyline preferred.
• Experience serving as a face-to-face trainer and/or online facilitator.
• Basic experience with video recording, editing, and captioning, Panopto and Camtasia preferred.
• Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• A good attitude that demonstrates a spirit of teamwork and collaboration.
• Working knowledge of HTML, layout and design, color theory, and typography preferred.
• Working knowledge of learning management systems, Schoology preferred.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Carlow University is a comprehensive, liberal arts, Catholic institution of higher education whose campus is located at the gateway to the greater Oakland Innovation District. The district is nationally renowned as the home to world class universities and research facilities, as a hub for innovation in medicine, healthcare, education, technology and robotics, and for a very high level of per capita spending on R&D. The district is also within close proximity to eight hospitals, with three more to be built in the coming years, and is minutes from Pittsburgh downtown business district.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University’s resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Carlow University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer by choice. We value diversity and we are committed to the recruitment of underrepresented groups.