This position is part of the Cheyenne Eagle Butte School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Assistant Principal you will be responsible for coordinating and supervising the education activities of the school to include planning, developing, directing and conducting BIA school programs.
This position is filled under P.L. 95-561 and will require a contract renewal on an annual basis.
Open & closing dates: 10/09/2020 to 11/09/2020
Pay scale & grade: CY 5
Salary: $30.67 to $39.87 per hour
Appointment type: Seasonal
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Eagle Butte, SD
As a Assistant Principal CY-1710-5, your typical work assignments may include the following:
- Provide professional and instructional leadership to the faculty and is responsible for the development of a school curriculum.
- Oversee the budget program, acquisitions, and HR services.
- Responsible for complete control, planning, implementing, supervision and coordination safety and the school’s Facility Management program.
- Assign, supervise and direct the work of professional, paraprofessional, contract education staff and wage employees. Responsible to promote activities for the general welfare, to enhance public relations with the community and public school, and cooperate with other Bureau program personnel including Federal/State officials in administering their programs in the community
Conditions of Employment:
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a background clearance.
- Must file an annual financial statement.
- Must be certified by a state’s Department of Education.
- Must obtain and maintain Superintendent License and or Certification.
- Must obtain and Maintain valid state driver’s license.
Who May Apply:
- Applicants with Indian Preference
- All U.S. Citizens
Qualifications: In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Specialized Experience: Is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. To be qualified, you must have two (2) years experience in school administration, teaching, counseling or other professional education experience. A maximum of two (2) years teaching or counseling experience is creditable toward meeting the full qualification requirement.
Education Requirement: A Master’s, EDS, or Doctorate’s degree in Education Administration, or a Master’s degree with a minimum of 20 semester hours of graduate credit in School Administration, Curriculum Development, and Supervision of Instruction (or similar supervision related course work).
Applicants must provide copies of official Bachelor’s and Master’s transcripts (include EDS and Doctorate’s if applicable).
Pay tables for Bureau of Indian Education Title 25 positions can be found https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/employee-benefits-current-employees
Basis of Rating: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant’s advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and Indian preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted. Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
To meet the education requirements, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Official transcripts are required upon selection.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications.
For further information on creditable education visit: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying with Indian Preference, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc).As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.
To apply for this position, click on the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581294200
If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- Your resume work experience needs to reflect Position Title, Dates of Employment (include month/year), Hours worked per week, Salary, Supervisor’s Name and telephone number, and Duties (please be specific and include any accomplishments).
- If your resume includes a photograph, hypertext/hyperlinks, or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- 2. Other supporting documents: Cover Letter, optional
- You MUST submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package. These documents may include, but are not limited to:
- For Indian Preference BIA Form 4432 is required and located on the Bureau of Indian Education Website: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/IndianPref_1076-0160_Exp3-31-21.pdf The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Indian Children Protection Requirements Form is required and is located on the Bureau of Indian Education Website: https://www.bie.edu/sites/default/files/documents/idc2-104343.pdf
- For current employment verification; SF-50, DD-3434 or other federal agencies official “Notification of Personnel Action” equivalent (Note: SF-52 or agencies “Request for Personnel Action” is not acceptable);
- For MSP claims PCS orders and marriage certificate;
- For verification of Veteran status, DD-214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter and/or Activation/Deactivation orders.
- This position has an individual occupational requirement. You MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. Your transcripts must show the degree awarded, date conferred, and all required courses as required by the position. Please note, this may be shown with multiple transcripts.
Future Military Retirees*: You are required to submit a copy of your retirement DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your retirement letter AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
Future Separation from the Military*: You are required to submit a copy of your most recent DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your most recent active duty orders AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214(Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
*Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
** The “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
NOTE: Within the Bureau of Indian Education, the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents like military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for other than the applicant.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Action Orientation
- Confidence to Develop and Lead High Performing Teams
- Impact and Influence
- Planning and Problem Solving
- Results Orientation
- School Safety