This position is located in the Office of Currency Manufacturing, Intaglio Plate Printing Operations Branch, Intaglio Platemaking, Photo & Engraving Section at the Bureau of Engraving & Printing, Western Currency Facility.
The following are the duties of this position at the Journeyman level which you will have the opportunity to learn and perform during the seven (7) year, structured Apprenticeship training program. The growth & development into this position will include being instructed in various processes listed, but are not limited to:
- Receiving models and die from the supervisor.
- Receiving oral instructions, hand drawing layout of work on die, such as: lathe work, ornamental counters, portrait, vignette, lettering, etc.
- Drawing the lettering or script in the reverse on a die prior to actual engraving.
- Using a die covered with transparent acid-resisting etching grounds.
- Carefully ruling a series of lines with a diamond point placed in a ruling machine.
- Spacing lines at predetermined widths for a pleasing effect and to increase the difficulty of counterfeiting.
- Performing work on transfer rolls that require filing or sorting.
- Inspecting and make-ready for printing all electrolytic plates, including final chrome inspection.
- Obtaining the skillset to perform work in the safest possible manner.