Use your improvement skills to help advance the organizational goals here at Brigham Health. This role supports the Process Improvement agenda of Brigham and Women’s Hospital through facilitation of key strategic projects and work teams. Works with the Director, Lead Consultants and Consultants within Process Improvement to provide support to teams through collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data, development of testing and implementation work plans and evaluation of impact. Assists in providing process improvement training for teams. Employs a variety of improvement methodologies including Toyota Production System/Lean, Institute for Healthcare Improvement Rapid Cycle Testing, Innovation/Deep Dive design sessions.
Principal Duties Responsibilities:
- Independently facilitates project subgroups and work teams including meeting management, discussion facilitation, conflict resolution, one-on-one meetings with clinical and administrative managers and leaders.
- Uses fundamental Process improvement concepts and methodologies such as process/value stream mapping, brainstorming, group decision-making techniques, design and testing of interventions, design of measurement strategies and implementation planning.
- Conducts patient/process “walk-throughs”, face-to-face patient and provider interviews and participates in focus groups.
- Provides data support to project teams: identifies useful sources of data; plans data collection; analyzes, interprets and presents healthcare data.
- Rapidly identifies, problem-solves and communicates to the Director of Process Improvement any issues that are interfering with project deadlines or project scope.
- Responsible for development of a project implementation work plan including identification of stakeholders, assessment of resource needs, and implementation timelines
- Assesses need for and provides real time process improvement training for leadership and teams.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new senior consultants and consultants.
- Engages in special projects targeted at achieving key strategic goals at the request of senior leadership.
- Participates in teamwork to improve internal operations and customer-facing services.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
PI Project facilitation and management (85%)
- Scope projects
- Develop strategy for addressing process problems
- Oversee project timeline, communication and implementation
- Initiate and manage Process owner relationship
- Facilitate large cross functional teams
- Educate team members
- Connect the work of the project team to patient/ staff and organizational goals
- Develop or support daily management/ visual management for long term sustainment
- Identify and implement methods to effectively and efficiently lead problem solving and planning meetings
- Respond to time-sensitive requests with a strategic approach (which may vary from the usual planned PI approach)
- De-escalate conflict within teams
- Escalate project impediments to PI Team leader/ Director
- Ask for help as needed; timely
- Host final meeting to capture operational and cultural benefits/ lessons learned meeting with Sponsors and team for large scale projects
- Competency and fulfilment of all PI Consultant tasks
PI Coaching and Mentoring for Staff and Leaders (12%)
- Coach front line staff as they learn and experiment
- Demonstrate a balance between open ended questions and tools/ guidance
- Coach leaders to be project advocates
Classroom PI and Change Leadership Teaching (3%)
- Coach Consultant
- Deliver presentations
- Lead PI team debrief
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt exam successfully completed (strongly preferred)
- Five years of related experience with at least three in a healthcare setting. Experience teaching groups in a classroom setting
- Experience facilitating teams, evidenced by three or more documented improvement projects.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with patients, healthcare providers and administrators. Must be able to maintain a high degree of maturity, professionalism and confidentiality. Proven ability to manage small projects independently.
- Requires skills and experience facilitating teams and understanding group dynamics.
- Experience using a variety of improvement and redesign tools and techniques such as process mapping, root cause analysis, design and prototyping, rapid cycle testing and change leadership. Working knowledge of Agile/ Scrum.
- Superior organizational and project management skills, with ability to function effectively in a changing environment; develop timelines and meet deadlines; prioritize multiple projects; manage time efficiently.
- Extensive experience working with administrative healthcare and clinical data preferred.
- Competency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel; competency in Microsoft Access or other database applications preferred.