Boston Teacher Residency
Final deadline to apply for BTR Cohort 19 (Program Year 2021-22): February 18th, 2021 (noon ET)!
Graduating college seniors, recent graduates, and career changers are encouraged to apply.
BTR prepares teachers for*:
- Elementary (grades 1-5)
- English (grades 6-12)
- Math (grades 6-12)
- Computer Science (grades 5-12)
- General Science (grades 6-9)
- Biology (grades 9-12)
- Chemistry (grades 9-12)
- Physics (grades 9-12)
- Co-teach in a collaborative and supportive teaching and learning environment under the guidance of experienced educators and content coaches
- Complete an integrated graduate curriculum, designed and taught by BTR faculty, with specific focus on preparing educators for the realities of Boston’s schools and serving Boston’s diverse student body through a social justice lens
- Earn a low-cost M.Ed. granted by UMass Boston and MA Initial Teacher License
- Participate in continued professional development as a graduate of our program through our Early Career Teaching Network
- As of School Year 2020-2021, we have 17 cohorts of graduates teaching in Boston Public Schools — over 700 BTR trained teachers
- BTR program cost waived, reduced UMass Boston tuition
- Receive a living stipend and health benefits
- May apply for additional financial aid and student loans through UMass Boston
- Eligible to earn an AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of service
- Education award ($6,345) upon successful completion of service*
- Health insurance coverage
- Living allowance ($13,883)*
- Access to AmeriCorps service member training through Massachusetts Service Alliance
- Student loan forbearance**
- Food Assistance/SNAP benefit eligibility
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Networking opportunities with community and education leaders
*AmeriCorps financial support amounts shown are subject to change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about AmeriCorps financial benefits.
**May be eligible for loan forbearance. For more information, visit this site.
Start your application today by submitting your Prospect Form.
BTR is a clinical teacher preparation program whose graduates support student achievement from day one and who stay in teaching, continuing to refine and improve their practice. Created in 2002 as a joint initiative between the Boston Public Schools and BPE, we designed BTR to meet the evolving needs of Boston’s children and families.
BTR, an AmeriCorps program, combines a yearlong classroom apprenticeship with targeted master’s level coursework to provide you with the hands-on experience, feedback, evaluation and ongoing post-graduate support critical to a successful career in teaching. Upon graduation, you will earn an M.Ed, Massachusetts Initial Teaching License, and join a network of more than 700 teachers who are among the most effective in Massachusetts.
BPE does not discriminate with regard to race, color, origin, gender, gender identity, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, or religion. BPE is committed to seeking qualified applicants with disabilities and can provide reasonable accommodations during the application process and time of service upon request.