Date: Sep 15, 2020
Location: Topeka, KS, US, 66612
Apply early as this job may be filled at any time.
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe and “green” rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns participate in group events and projects, experiencing first-hand what it is like to be a full-time BNSF employee. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel!
The program begins with an extensive corporate orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. During the training period, interns receive a company overview and interact with company leaders. Following orientation, interns receive on-the-job training according to their assigned group. The summer will be spent in Fort Worth or in a field location that can be anywhere on BNSF’s system. The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
Relocation assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
Work Location: Topeka, KS
Start Date: 06/02/2021
End Date: 08/10/2021
Salary Range: $3,687.50 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Groups that Interns may be placed into include:
- Payroll Services – oversees time-to-gross-to-net pay processing for all employees, including but not limited to analysis of labor contracts, employment tax reporting and compliance, and data analysis focused on identifying process improvements.
- Revenue Management – oversees the customer order to cash process for freight and related charges, including but not limited to creation of the shipping instructions, the assessment of charges, managing accruals and payments associated with the shipment, the collection of invoices, and the application of cash upon receipt of payment.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, internal and external reporting, account reconciliations, contract research, maintaining and securing highly sensitive and confidential information, assisting in testing system changes and enhancements, ad-hoc requests, maintaining and building strong customer, employee, and business partner relationships through issue resolution and continuous improvement while maintaining business integrity.
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- Primarily an office environment, occasional travel required.
- Normal office hours, Monday through Friday, with weekend or evening work as required.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or graduate degree program in Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems or related field at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than three (3) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Previous work experience in an Accounting, Finance, or MIS related environment.
- Proficiency in advanced functions of the full Microsoft Office Suite.
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2022.
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend
- Potential for offer of fulltime position
- Paid Internship
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at http://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Finance | Topeka, KS | 66612
Nearest Major Market: Topeka
Job Segment: Intern, Accounting, Financial, Information Systems, Payroll, Entry Level, Finance, Technology