Perform routine clerical and administrative functions including check-in and check-out of clients, scheduling and confirming client appointments, collection of cash receipts, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, completing and processing initial intake paperwork, and providing information to callers.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Plus one (1) year office experience in healthcare field or Medical Secretary/Medical Billing certificate required.
- Flexibility with hours, including evenings and weekends required.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Excellent attention to detail required.
- Verbal communication in both Spanish and English preferred.
- Customer service experience preferred.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of BCC services, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records – ability to navigate and utilize electronic health records
- Knowledge of Electronic Verification System
- Skill in operation of telephone systems and telephone etiquette according to company standards
- Skill in using Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook and the ability to learn new software programs that support project efforts
- Skill in active listening – giving full attention to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Skill in time management – managing one’s own time and establishing priorities in relation to the tasks at hand
- Skill in social perceptiveness – being sensitive of other’s reactions and understanding why they react as they do
- Ability to be organized and prioritize based on the daily requirements
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively so others will understand
- Ability to work as a team player – the ability to be optimistic in tough situations share responsibility for problems, support decisions, and work well with others
Essential Job Functions
- Ensure all appointments are entered correctly into the EHR system.
- Check-in clients and notify the proper provider via phone and IM in a timely matter.
- Check-out clients by adding the appointment in the proper provider schedule along with any other services the provider may request.
- Complete verification of benefits for all clients prior to rendering of services.
- Email all information to the proper provider and/or staff member of any changes in insurance coverage and update profile on our EHR system.
- Monitor schedule for scheduling errors, such as but not limited to, incorrect provider, multiple services same day, and insurance restrictions which may apply.
- Assure accurate client insurance information and attach all supportive documentation into the patient dashboard in the EHR system. Verify and update insurance information as warranted.
- Create a patient dashboard and assure all patient information is accurate. Enter all relevant client information into the EHR System.
- Create, maintain and update all logs, including (but not limited to) Open Admission Log, Referral Log, and Individual Cash Receipts Log.
- Maintain a high level of customer service and professionalism both in dealing with the public and within the organization.
- Properly navigate received telephone calls to the appropriate staff member.
- Distribute any incoming fax, mail and any other delivered packages to the appropriate staff member on a timely matter.
- Assist in opening and closing of Agency when appropriate.
- Perform all other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- SEEING: Must be able to see well enough to read reports and use computer.
- HEARING: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate to clients, vendors, and coworkers.
- MOBILITY: Must have mobility to move about the agency.
- LIFTING/PUSHING/PULLING: Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- OTHER: Must be able to write, type and use technology.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed, but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Also, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of Berks Counseling Center. Berks Counseling Center is an equal opportunity employer.