The Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for all transaction tax compliance (workpapers, tax and regulatory returns and reports) to ensure the utmost accuracy and timeliness. This includes detailed and referenced workpapers. The Senior Tax Accountant also assists in the tax, intercompany, and regulatory general ledger account maintenance and reconciliation. This position will participate in the detailed work and research involved with tax and regulatory audits. This individual will be detail oriented, extremely organized, have good written and verbal communication skills and will work to continually improve the efficiency and accuracy of the company’s transaction tax reporting.
Reports to: Corporate Controller
- Prepare workpapers, spreadsheets, returns and/or reports for all state and local transaction taxes and regulatory based fees. This includes taxes and fees for sales, use, property, escheat, excise and beverage industry related liabilities to ensure the utmost accuracy, completeness and timeliness.
- Ensure timely compliance, tracking and response to all federal, state and local transaction tax and regulatory notices.
- Participate in transaction tax and beverage industry regulatory audits.
- Identify where the company is engaged in business activities that qualify as nexus and to determine the tax-filing requirements as prescribed by each state.
- Review and reconcile all related general ledger tax accounts, including tax expense, accruals, billing, collections and payments.
- Assist in the preparation of tax budgeting and forecasting.
- Assist in the calculation of quarterly forecasts for all transaction related GL accounts.
- Prepare and post monthly journal entries.
- Stay abreast of all transaction tax or beverage regulatory law or jurisdictional changes and communicate these to the Controller for proper consideration.
- Identify process improvements
- Gather, maintain, and/or issue exemption certificates
- Work on multiple and varied tax projects simultaneously
- Assist with income tax issues, compliance and reporting when necessary
- Conduct moderate tax research relating to tax law or regulatory issues to maintain the company’s accurate compliance and minimize state and local tax exposure
- Prepare and post journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliations in conjunction with the month-end close process.
- Assist in the accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end closes.
- Perform detailed account analysis and general ledger account roll forwards.
- Prepare consolidated financial statements, management reports and analysis of results.
- Review areas within the general ledger for accuracy of reporting and GAAP/regulatory compliance.
- Support operations in analysis and reporting of financial information.
- Assist in the preparation of accurate federal and state beer excise and sales tax return.
- Ensure organizational compliance with corporate accounting policies, procedures and controls.
- Dedication to continuously improve the automation of the accounting and reporting process.
- Other general accounting and month-end close duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
- Work Experience: 3-5 years’ experience industry accounting, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- PC skills including Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and advanced Excel modeling.
- Proficient use of automated general ledger / reporting tools (SAP and Orchestrated BEER) a plus.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting and inventory control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of federal and state beverage industry regulations and reporting requirements a plus.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet required deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong communication skills, both internal and external, across all levels.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer