Director of Brewing Operations
The Director of Brewing Operations will oversee and lead all brewing operations to meet and exceed safety, quality, productivity, cost, service, and delivery goals. This position will ensure that our operation is running at its maximum efficiency and highest quality. The responsibilities include Brewing, maintenance and reliability of brewing systems and equipment, ERP setup, efficiency reporting and development and reporting of KPIs. Working with their team, the Director of Brewing Operations will also be responsible for developing, tracking, and leading continuous improvement effort focused on improving cost, efficiency, and quality of our beers. This position will lead innovation for the brand including concept, ideation, and recipe development as well as oversee brewing at our locations.
- Lead the brewing team with proactive safety leadership through team feedback, regular floor walks, root cause analysis for all accidents and near misses.
- Establish objectives, procedures, and performance measures for each function/area of brewing. Maintain performance measures and share with the brewing team to drive improvements.
- Develop brewing and cellar schedules based on shipment budgets and actual order volumes with direction from Planning department.
- Responsible for creation and updates of liquid beer items, bills of material, production orders and expression of production orders throughout the brewing/cellar process steps within Orchestrated Beer ERP.
- Work with the Brewing Manager to effectively schedule brewery operations in the brew house, cellar, and coordinate closely with the packaging and maintenance departments.
- Communicate brewing and cellaring schedules with the entire brewery organization including Quality, Maintenance, Supply Chain, and others as needed.
- Ensure that wort production, cellaring, and bright beer delivery from all brew house and cellar are accomplished on-time and according to schedule.
- Provide technical brewing expertise for process improvement to both Parkesburg and Downingtown for troubleshooting problems and implementing new products into our processes. Quickly respond to technical issues in the brewery and develop sound action plans to prevent reoccurrence of these issues.
- Ensure that brewing SOPs are reviewed annually, and that changes and improvement are documented in a timely fashion.
- Review performance against operating plans and targets; work with the brewing team to interpret results, implement sustained improvement plans and implement countermeasures as required.
- Work closely with Procurement and Inventory Control to maintain the materials supply chain.
- Maintain good working relationships with supplier companies and personnel. The Director of Brewing Operations will be involved in the selection of suppliers of raw materials and brewing equipment suppliers.
- Drive the implementation of lasting process improvements focused on safety, quality, cost, efficiency, and capacity.
- Participate in capital equipment projects, including cost effective analysis and purchasing, construction coordination, effective start up, SOP development, commissioning, and brewery team training.
- Recruit, develop and motivate a high-performance team and ensure adequate training is provided for all positions. Insure that 30/60/90 day reviews happen on time and critical feedback is provided to all new employees.
- Lead monthly 1 on 1 meetings with direct reports and ensure your team is doing the same. Lead department staff meetings and participate in monthly brewing communication meetings and quarterly lead one of these meetings.
- Maintain familiarity and oversight for all control and regulatory requirements including but not limited to TTB, environmental, etc.) related to the production of beers.
- Lead all innovation for brands working with innovation resources including concept, ideas and recipe development test brewing, senior leadership tasting and scale up, with a focus on developing high quality unique, efficient new beers. This will include working closely with Marketing to develop concepts into beer.
- Ensure new formulations are designed to scale within target cost parameters to support the company’s objectives.
- Organize and participate in Brewery team building events.
Ambassador: The Director of Brewing Operations is one of the key leaders and represents the Company at internal and external events.
- Represent the company to external parties as needed. Communicate with external parties in a professional and timely fashion.
- Oversee in-house and external tours and brewer events with staff ensuring we represent the brewery well on all occasions.
Quality Finished Beer Production and Process Improvement: Quality finished beer production is ultimately the most important part of this job. Our beer is consistent, free from defects, true to style and of the highest quality.
- Works closely with Quality Manager to ensure quality specifications are met for raw materials, wort, beer in process, and bright beer.
- Develops and implements lasting continuous improvement projects throughout the Brewing Department.
- Lead Brewing team efforts to qualify new suppliers and keep records of supplier issues and performance.
Action Oriented – Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps other achieve results.
Plans & Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Drives Engagement – Helps employees align with the organization mission and goals. Empowers employees to make decisions on how their work is done. Encourages employees to meet their development goals. Helps employees see how their work contributes to the success of the company. Establishes a collaborative and respectful team environment
Collaborates – Worked cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and other areas. Partners with other to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others.
Communicates Effectively – Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small, and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization .Encourage the open expression of diverse ideas and opinion.
- Candidate must meet the first 5 items below to be considered for this role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Food Science, or comparable degree required.
- Brewing degree and/or coursework from an industry recognized program required (UC Davis, Siebel, etc.)
- 10-years of experience in Brewing with increasing responsibility and leadership.
- 3-5 years of experience as the brewing leader of a brewing operation producing more than 50K barrels per year, in a fast-paced, 24/7 brewery.
- Craft beverage industry experience or comparable complexity preferred.
- Understanding of USDA/FDA regulations, as well as HACCP, GMPs, SOPs, AIB, Organic, and Hazard Analysis.
- Strong level of professionalism with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong leadership, relationship building, and presentation skills to a variety of audiences.
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented with process-oriented thinking.
- Plans and organizes work to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Strong capacity to both lead and participate in cross-functional teams to define issues and agree on processes, strategies, and outcomes.
- Takes ownership and is proactive in driving the Brewing team to deliver goals.
- Strong Financial acumen and proven operational project leadership.
- Ability to understand and manage large operating budgets and track performance.
- Proven track record in delivering best-in-class innovative beers.
- Ability to monitor performance and proactively propose necessary modifications to a plan.
- Process and results driven leader with demonstrated success managing and achieving goals
- Expert-level problem Solving and Analytical Skills.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) experience.
- PC skills, specifically Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Teams, and PowerPoint).
- Frequently stand for the duration of the shift, walk, bend over, twist, kneel, climb, stoop and crouch. This position requires the ability to routinely and repeatedly lift up to 55 pounds and maneuver 170 pounds repeatedly.
- Use their hands to perform fine manipulation, handle or feel, and must be able to reach with hands and arms.
- Identify product deficiencies (color, smell, taste). This requires having close, distance, color and peripheral vision as well as depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly exposed to a damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals, and moving machinery.
- Must be able to travel via car, airplane, or train.
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background and driver’s license check.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer