This job independently performs routine and highly complex laboratory analyses on clinical specimens in one or more sections of the laboratory.
- Performs a variety of routine and complex procedures using established criteria to provide quality clinical information. Verifies analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and linearity for test methods. (50%)
- Operates, calibrates, checks and maintains instrumentation. Recognizes problems with quality control and test procedures and takes appropriate action to ensure quality clinical information. (30%)
- Serves as a consultant to medical laboratory technicians, phlebotomists, other health care providers, as needed. Participates in continuing education to ensure growth and development of the laboratory. (5%)
- Maintains the cleanliness of the work area and adequate supplies for efficient laboratory operations. (5%)
- May collect and process patient specimens in accordance with laboratory policies and procedures and within the expected time frames. (5%)
- May mentor MT/MLT, phlebotomy students and new employees in laboratory testing following system policies and procedures. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in ASCP eligible program
- Meet ongoing education requirements for certification
- If located in Pennsylvania: Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) OR Medical Technologist (MT) required within one year of hire
- If located in New York: Clinical Laboratory OR Limited Clinical Laboratory Technologist license required within one year of hire, plus 1 year of prior experience
- 1 to 2 year’s clinical laboratory experience